Earthquake Risk Transfer for Nuclear Reactors, Materials, and Waste
The private sector primarily owns and operates all civilian nuclear assets under a large framework of regulations that require robust and redundant security measures and specialized emergency response. Nuclear earthquake risk transferring plan reflects the voluntary activities that the sector will participate in or support to reduce earthquake risks.
- Nuclear power reactors
- Decommissioning power reactors
- Fuel cycle facilities
- Operating research test reactors
Owners and Operators
- Private companies and public power utilities own and operate nuclear power reactors at all sites.
- Universities own most of the operating research test reactors; some are owned by private and Federal entities.
- Licenses are held by public and private organizations for medical, industrial, and academic uses of source, byproduct, and special nuclear materials.
- The Nuclear Sector does not include Department of Defense (DOD) or Department of Energy (DOE) defense-related nuclear facilities or nuclear materials.